Last updated: October 10, 2018
Our Sites may link to third-party sites not covered by this Policy. If you visit or access your services from one of these sites, please review the online privacy practices of that site to understand how your online information may be collected, used and shared.
Agreement to this Policy
By using this Site you consent and agree to this Policy, including your consent to our use and disclosure of information about you in the manner described in this Policy.
By reading this Policy, you will learn how we use any personal information we collect about you when using the Sites. This includes:
- How we collect personal information
- How we use personal information
- How personal information is shared
- Other information/personal data we collect online
- Other websites
- Other information about personal data collection
- Contact information
How We Collect Personal Information
Registration Information and Other Information You Provide to Us
When you visit our Sites, you may be asked to disclose personally identifiable information, such as your name, email address, home ZIP code and telephone number. You may also choose to submit personally identifiable information to us when you send us an email, provide messages or comments to us on our Sites, honor a loved one on our Memorial Wall, or post on the Forum. You acknowledge and agree that we may use and store any such information about you in accordance with this Policy. We may process and store your personally identifiable information on a server located outside of your jurisdiction (in other words, outside of your country, state, county or municipality). By providing your personally identifiable information to us, you consent to the transfer of your information across national boundaries. If you do not consent to that transfer or to the processing and storage of your personally identifiable information outside your jurisdiction, you should not provide your personal information to us.
Personal Information We Collect Online
We collect personal information from you when you register for membership on the Forum, create a dedication on our forum or memorial wall, become a donor through our donation Site, leave comments on blog articles, subscribe for email updates, send us a message or comment through our Contact Us page on our Site, or schedule a consultation. “Personal information” means personally identifiable information such as information you provide via forms or other online fields including name, telephone, e-mail address and other information that you might voluntarily share about yourself or a loved one when you send us a message online. You share this information when you contact us through our Site requesting to be contacted. That way we can contact you about our services and be ready to address any specific matters you reference in your message.
How We Use Personal Information
- We collect personal information through the normal operation of our Sites to better serve you, the suicide loss survivor community, and those who support them.
- Except to the extent we describe in this Policy, we do not sell, trade or give away your personal information to anyone.
- Except to the extent we describe in this Policy, we do not disclose your personal information to third parties.
We may also use your personal information as follows:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests;
- to inform you about important information regarding the Site or services that may interest you or changes to terms, conditions, and policies or other administrative information;
- to personalize your experience on the Site;
- to verify your identity and/or location to allow access to our services and to maintain measures aimed at preventing fraud and protecting the security of your personal information;
- to send you e-mails regarding system downtime and/or changes to this Policy or other terms that affect or govern our Sites.
- for internal purposes, including data analysis, audits, developing and improving services, enhancing the Sites, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of web pages; and
- for risk control, for fraud detection and prevention, to comply with laws and regulations, to comply with other legal process and law enforcement requirements and for the preservation of personal life and safety.
How Personal Information is Shared
This part of the Policy describes how personal information may be shared and how you may be able to limit certain types of sharing.
Other Information/Personal Data We Collect Online
We’ll refer here to “other information,” which is any information other than personal information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as browser information, information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, demographic information, donation amounts, and aggregated and de-identified data.
How We Collect and Use Other Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect and use other information in a variety of ways, including the following:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers and/or through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, device type, screen resolution, operating system version and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure Sites function properly, for fraud detection and prevention, and security purposes.
- Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the device you are using. Cookies we use do not contain or capture unencrypted personal information. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Site, pages visited, language preferences, and your relationship with us. We use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation (that is, to store your account information between sessions), to display information more effectively, to personalize or tailor your experience while engaging with us, and to recognize your device to allow your use of our online services.
We collect statistical information about the usage of the Site to continually improve the design and functionality, to monitor responses to our services and content, to understand how visitors use the Site, and to assist us with resolving questions regarding the Site.
How to opt-out of cookies: You can refuse to accept these cookies, and most devices and browsers offer their own privacy settings for cookies. You will need to manage your cookie settings for each device and browser you use. However, if you do not accept these cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of the Site and some of our online services. A Site may not load or display properly.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to block and delete cookies, please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org.
- Other technologies including pixel tags, web beacons, and clear GIFs: These may be used in connection with some Site pages, downloadable mobile applications and HTML-formatted email messages to measure the effectiveness of our communications, the success of our marketing campaigns, to compile statistics about usage and response rates, for fraud detection and prevention, for security purposes, and to assist us in resolving users’ questions regarding use of our Site.
- Google Analytics: We use a tool called Google Analytics to collect information about use of this site. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit our Sites, what pages they visit, and what other sites they used prior to coming to our Site. We use the information we get from Google Analytics only to improve our Site.
Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit this Site, rather than your name or other identifying information. We do not combine the information collected through Google Analytics with personally identifiable information.
- IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the device that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user visits the Site, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many websites. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating Site usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, advertising, for compliance and security purposes and administering the Site.
- Aggregated and De-identified Data: Aggregated and de-identified data is data that we may create or compile from various sources, including, but is not limited to, accounts. This information, which does not identify individual account holders, may be used for our internal purposes, which may include offering services, research, analyzing trends, and other purposes consistent with applicable laws.
- Donation Information: We use information about donations, including donation amounts, in our fundraising campaigns to encourage continued donations from our supporters. Donors may opt to make their donations anonymously.
We may advertise online through Alliance of Hope-managed social media presences, and on other sites not affiliated with us. In order to understand how advertising performs, we may collect certain information on our Sites and other sites through our advertising service providers using cookies, IP addresses, and other technologies. The collected information may include the number of page visits, pages viewed on our Sites, search engine referrals, browsing activities over time and across other sites following your visit to one of our Sites or apps, and responses to promoted services on the Sites and on sites and apps where we advertise.
Make Sure Your Information is Accurate
Keeping your account information accurate and up to date is very important. If your information is incomplete, inaccurate or not current, please update your account or email or write to us at the address listed below.
Linking to Other Sites
We may provide links to third-party sites. If you follow links to sites not affiliated or controlled by us, you should review their privacy and security policies and other terms and conditions, as they may be different from those of our Sites. We do not guarantee and are not responsible for the privacy or security of these sites, including the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of their information.
To protect personal information from unauthorized access and use, we use security measures that comply with applicable federal and state laws. These measures may include device safeguards, secured files and physical security as well as oversight of our third-party service providers to ensure information remains confidential and secure.
While we follow accepted industry standards to protect the personal information we collect (both during and once we receive it), no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
If you have any questions about security on our Site, you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Information About Personal Data Collection
Do Not Track Disclosures
We currently do not respond to do not track signals in browsers because we do not track individual users across the web.
Notice to Users Outside of the United States
This Policy is intended to cover collection of information on our Sites from residents of the United States. If you are visiting our Sites from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. The data protection and laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
Protecting Children’s Privacy Online
The Site is not directed to individuals under the age of 13 (our current Forum use policy restricts use to those age 18 or older), and we request that these individuals do not provide personal information through any Site. We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13 without parental consent. Visit the Federal Trade Commission website for more information about the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
If you believe that we have received information from a child or other person who is not of a majority age in their relevant jurisdiction, please contact us at our email or physical mailing address listed in the Contact Us section below and we will take all reasonable efforts to remove the information.
Updates to this Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. Please review it periodically. If we make changes to it, we will update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this Policy. Any changes to this Policy will become effective when we post the revised Policy on the Site. Your use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Policy.
Alliance of Hope for Suicide Loss Survivors, PO Box 7005, Evanston, IL 60201